PostHog provides open-source product analytics, built for developers. Automate the collection of every event on your website or app, with no need to send data to 3rd parties. With just 1 click you can deploy on your own infrastructure, having full API/SQL access to the underlying data.
1-click Heroku deploy:
Make the Most of PostHog
See PostHog Docs for in-depth walk-throughs on functionality.
Join our PostHog Users Slack community if you need help, want to chat, or are thinking of a new feature. We're here to help - and to make PostHog even better.
- Event-based analytics at a user level - capture your product's usage data to see which users are doing what in your application.
- Product data visualizations: graphs, funnels, user cohorts, user paths, retention tables, and dashboards.
- Complete control over your data - host it yourself.
- Session recording to watch videos of your user behavior, with fine-grained privacy controls.
- Automatically capture clicks and pageviews to analyze what your users are doing without pushing events manually
- Feature flags to understand the impact of new features before rolling them out more widely
- Heatmaps with the PostHog Toolbar.
- Plugins to integrate your product usage data with other systems, like your CRM, or data lakes.
- Ready-made libraries for JS, Python, Ruby, Node, Go, Android, iOS, PHP, Flutter, React Native, Elixir + API for anything else.
- Super easy deploy using Docker or Heroku.
Many engineers find it painful to work out how their products are being used. This makes design decisions tough. PostHog solves that.
In our view, third-party analytics does not work anymore in a world of cookie laws, GDPR, CCPA, and many other four-letter acronyms. There should be an alternative to sending all of your customers' personal information and usage data to third-parties like Google.
PostHog gives you full control over all the data from your users, while allowing anyone to do powerful analytics.
This means you can know who is using your app, how they're using it, and where you lose users, among many other things.
What's Cool About This?
PostHog is the only product-focused open-source analytics library, with an event and user-driven architecture. That means tracking identifiable (where applicable) user behavior, and creating user profiles. We are an open-source alternative to products such as Mixpanel, Amplitude, or Heap, that's designed to be more developer-friendly than them, with a broader range of features like session recording, heatmaps, feature flags and plugins.
There are a few session-based open-source libraries that are nice alternatives to Google Analytics. That's not what we are focused on.
You can sign up for a free account on our hosted platform.
Our suggested method for quick deployment is Heroku's one-click option:
However, PostHog can be deployed anywhere you want! Here are step-by-step tutorials we've written for deployment options using all the major cloud providers:
We <3 contributions big or small. See our Docs for a guide on how to get started..
Not sure where to start? Book a free, no-pressure pairing session with one of our core contributors.
Come help us make PostHog even better. We're growing fast, and would love for you to join us.
Open-Source vs. Paid
This repo is entirely MIT licensed, with the exception of the
ee directory (if applicable). Need absolutely
Premium features (contained in the
ee directory) require a PostHog license. Contact us at [email protected] for more information.